Parenting FAQ

Q: The father of my baby says he won’t help me in any way. Does he have to?

A: You have the option of going to family court to get child support. To do this, go to your local family court to file a child support petition and provide all of the contact information for the father. The court will contact him and give him a date for a court appearance. If he challenges paternity, he’ll be given a paternity test, at no charge to you. If he’s the father of your child, a judge will review his finances and determine how much he should pay.

Q: I don’t want my child’s father to have any contact with my baby. Can I be forced to allow visits?

A: If the father wants to have contact with the child, he can go to family court to request visitation. If you are concerned about this, you can share your worries with the judge, who will then make a decision one way or the other. (You should know that if the father is determined to have contact and he pays child support, the judge will most likely allow visits. If he has a history of arrests, physical abuse, or substance abuse issues, you should make sure the court knows this).

Q: My parents won’t let me live at home because I am pregnant. Is there anywhere I can go?

A: Your options depend on your age and the circumstances. We are happy to tell you about available resources and help you find somewhere to stay.

Q: I’ve never cared for a baby. Is there anywhere I can get help learning how to be a good parent?

A: Our parenting programs offer education and support groups – in English and Spanish – for moms and dads, as well as moms- and dads-to-be. These services are all entirely free. Give us a call to figure out which course will be best for you.

Q: I’m a teenager and need someone to talk to about my pregnancy. Do you have staff that work with teens?

A: We have staff who are experienced working with pregnant women between the ages of 12 and 40, and many of us have a background in working directly with teenagers and their families.